Yahoo Weather

You are here

Deputies cleared and return to work

Two Logan County deputies have been cleared in an internal investigation that was launched following a gunfire exchange between the deputies and an armed man, according to county authorities.

Deputies Thomas Hobbs and Jason Massey, a criminal investigator, were cleared in an Oct. 22 gunfire exchange between Hobbs and Massey and a yet-to-be-identified suspect who was shot in the hand.

“They have been cleared and allowed to come back to work,” Logan County Chief Deputy David Spicer said. “The prosecutor’s office found that their use of force was justifiable.”

15th Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Tom Tatum said the suspect’s name cannot be released because the criminal investigation is ongoing.

Hobbs and Massey responded to a call at around 9 a.m. Friday, Oct. 22. When they arrived at a residence on East State Highway 197 between Scranton and Subiaco, a man, described as being in his 60s, appeared with a weapon in his hand, Logan County Sheriff Steve Smith said previously.

The suspect, Smith said, fired his weapon at the two deputies and they returned fire, hitting the suspect in the hand. An ambulance was called to the scene and the suspect was later airlifted to the University of Arkansas Medical Science campus in Little Rock.

Close
The Paris Express website is available only to print and digital subscribers. If you are already a subscriber, you can access the website at no additional charge.