Devil’s Den State Park will host a Birder Weekend Friday and Saturday at the park, 11333 W. Arkansas 74 in West Fork.
Park interpreter Terry Elder said the weekend will be a great opportunity for novice and experienced birders alike to learn from birding experts. Birders Joe Neal and Karen Garrett will lead hikes throughout the weekend and share their knowledge, while Lynn Sciumbato of Morning Star Wildlife Center will offer a presentation at noon Saturday with an upclose view of owls and hawks.
“There are lots of our annual warm-weather, feathered friends visiting now,” Elder said in a news release. “Whether you are an experienced birder or whether you are just starting out, this weekend will be a great time to come to the park and learn from the experts.”
Programs for Birder Weekend at Devil’s Den include:
• 4-5 p.m. — “Eat Like a Bird,” a fun game to learn about the interesting adaptations of birds beaks; meets in the Audio/Visual room at the Visitor Center.
• 6-7 p.m. — “Bird Observation Hour,” in which birding expert Garrett will lead bird watching; meets at the parking area by the Highway Bridge at the Lake Trail Trailhead.
• 7-8:30 a.m. — “The Early Birder;” attendees should bring binoculars; meets at the Horse Day Use parking area on Arkansas 220.
• 9-11 a.m. — “Bird Identification Walk;” bring binoculars for the slow-paced walk; meet at the Lake Trail Trailhead by the Lee Creek Bridge on Arkansas 170 (not the suspension bridge).
• Noon to 1 p.m. — “Live Birds of Prey;” attendees can bring a camera; meets at the amphitheater near Area E.
• 2-3 p.m. — “Storytime with Mother Nature;” attendees will make an owl craft; meets at the Visitor Center in the Audio/Visual room.
• 7:45-9 p.m. — “Bird Game for the Bird Brains;” meets in the Amphitheater near Area E.
For information, call (479) 761-3325.